Semi Rear-Ends SUV Resulting in Interstate 65 Crash
Five people were injured in a three-vehicle crash on Interstate 65 about two miles north of the Indiana 46 exit. According to Indiana State Police reports, a trooper was making a traffic stop on the northbound shoulder at about 4:20 p.m. near the 70 mile marker. A car, SUV and tractor-trailer merged into the left lane to yield to the trooper.
The semi, driven by Padlo Mariusz, 44, of Arlington Heights, Ill. struck the rear of the SUV which was being driven by Kelly C. Bowers, 49, of Edinburgh. According to police reports, the SUV rolled, ejectin two of the passengers before finally coming to rest on its wheels against a guardrail. The semi then struck the rear of the car, driven by Laura A. Bracken, 36, of Trafalgar.
The semi and the car became locked together and traveled off the roadway into the east side of the roadway and down a steep embankment. All of those injured were riding in the SUV and members of the Bowers family:
- Kelly Bowers, who was transported to Columbus Regional Hospital with non life-threatening injuries.
- Sidney Bowers, 15, who was transported to Columbus Regional Hospital with unknown injuries.
- Aaron Bowers, 13, who was ejected and in critical condition with a possible skull fracture. He was transported to Columbus Regional Hospital and then transferred to Riley Hospital in Indianapolis.
- Adam Bowers, 11, transported to Columbus Regional Hospital with unknown injuries.
- Sarah Bowers, 9, also ejected from the SUV and transported to Columbus Regional Hospital with unknown injuries.
Trooper Matt Holley was assisted at the scene by Troopers Bryce Harris and Korry Clark, Bartholomew County Sheriff’s Department deputies, Indiana State Excise Police, and Columbus Fire Department and EMS.
If you have any additional information on this accident, please call Mario Massillamany with the law firm of Starr Austen & Miller at (574) 722-6676.
[Source: The Indy Channel]